The most prominent trends include bold colors, particularly chartreuse, fuchsia, orange, bright green and blue; ruffles and bows; skirts; one-shoulder and asymmetrical garments; prints; sheer pieces; and anything white. For designers like Betsey Johnson, who'92s been using ruffles and loud patterns for years, this could be the time to shine.
'93After a recent trip to New York Fashion Week, the big trends for spring could already be seen in stores across the fashion capital '97 oversized jewelry, brightly colored cardigans, floral prints, high-heeled shoes were the hot items on fashionistas'92 lists and guess what '97 the skirt is back. From flared minis to flowy knee length, pair this spring must-have with a short sleeve blouse or lightweight sweater and a heel and you are set for spring 2009,'94 says Amy Lemley Bailey, founder of www.MyScoop.us, a Birmingham-based website for fashion-forward Southerners. '93Another evolution in fashion that we will see this spring, and makes sense for our economy, is that designers are doing more transitional pieces which means multiple shipments for each season. So instead of shipping fall in July and stocking shelves with tweeds, wools and furs, designers are shipping more weather appropriate transitional pieces '97according to the time of year.'94
A few questionable trends are jumpsuits and overalls, the Dirndl skirt and harem pants (think Aladdin). Of course, even the good trends could go terribly wrong. Not everyone can pull off the color yellow, and it'92s crucial to remember the oh-so-important camisole under a see-through blouse.
Locally, shoppers can expect to see most of the same trends. Laura Kathryn in Mountain Brook already has plenty of sky-high heels, flat sandals and retro Bohemian dresses in stock, in addition to floral tops by Theory and brightly colored pieces from Leona Collection, designed by University of Alabama graduate Lauren Leonard.
Doree Walker, whose namesake Homewood boutique carries a wide array of denim, says that the upcoming season is bound to be colorful. '93What I'92m seeing with spring fashion is lots of color in everything from denim to flirty dresses,'94 she says. '93And long dresses are a must for spring. Every girl should own at least one.'94
Julie Cox at Mia Moda in Vestavia promises lots of Pucci-inspired prints and colors like orange and purple. The store recently brought in a new line called Erge, which features garments and scarves with layers of cotton knit. The top layer has a burnout pattern with a solid layer underneath. Customers can also find maxi dresses, or long sundresses, at Mia Moda this spring.
'93The maxi dress has been really popular in the past, but they'92ve only really hit the scene in Alabama in the last year,'94 Cox says.
Belk has also bought into the season'92s hottest trends with clothes and accessories from BCBG, Michael Kors, Ellen Tracy, Liz Claiborne and many more. Arlene Goldstein, vice president of trend merchandising and fashion direction, recently visited Belk at The Summit to discuss fashion for spring 2009. Below, find her recommendations for men and women.
Belk'92s Spring 2009 Must-Haves for Women
1. Anything white '96 From handbags and dresses to sandals and sunglasses.
2. Cardigan '96 Go classic or check out new shape options like a buttonless cardi-wrap.
3. Peasant top '96 Embroidered and embellished or soft and sheer.
4. Novelty skirt '96 Count on color and interesting fabrics to lead the way. Long and tiered or short and sassy, the skirt is back and better than ever.
5. Ruffled blouse '96 Pair it with jeans or a pair of shorts for a modern look.
6. Denim '96 Longer lengths, crops, skirts and shorts continue to be in style. White denim, vintage washes and deconstruction are also trendy this season.
7. Maxi dress '96 Long and lush, fun and flirtatious featuring solids, floral prints and paisley.
8. Spring scarf '96 Wrap it, tie it or drape it. Fringe, discreet prints, a kaleidoscope of colors, tie-dye patterns and more make the scarf a delectable year-round accessory.
9. Statement necklace '96 Choose bold, exotic and colorful add-ons to frame the face. Crafty, one-of-a-kind strands of oversized beads and interesting metal elements are just a few options.
10. Tribal sandals '96 Rustic or refined; either way, capture an ethnic flair with details like beads, fringe and embroidery.
Belk'92s Spring 2009 Must-Haves for Men
1. Anything white '96 From shorts and slacks to belts and jackets.
2. Seersucker sport coat '96 This important completion piece easily goes from workday to weekend.
3. V-neck T-shirt '96 Pair it with jeans or wear it under a sport coat.
4. Patterned shorts '96 From madras-inspired plaids and patchwork to tribal patterns and more.
5. Bright polo '96 Try one on in bold red, coral, luscious green and beautiful blues.
6. Printed casual shirt '96 Checks, paisleys, optics and exotics.
7. Bold-colored neckwear '96 These are the items that will pull a spring look together and set you apart from the other suits.
8. Cool summer hat '96 Think head coverings a la Justin Timberlake.
9. Boat shoes '96 This preppie staple has emerged as the hipster shoe of choice. Check out new materials and fresh colors.
For more on the season'92s latest styles, make plans to attend the a.k.a. Girl Stuff sixth annual spring fashion show Thursday, March 5, at 6 p.m. a.k.a. Girl Stuff is located at 2906 18th St. South in Homewood. For more information, call (205) 802-7735.